Politeness is important in every culture, and this is even more the case in Chinese culture. So, when dating Chinese women there are some kinds of Chinese dating etiquette you should probably be aware of and follow. You don’t want to make one embarrassing mistake that will make her think twice about dating you again.
Chinese culture is very different from western culture. It is sometimes the case that what a westerner believes to be polite is sometimes completely the opposite of being polite in Chinese. So let’s take a look at a few winning rules that’ll help make woman in China attracted to you and also feel you are the kind of guy that can fit her:
1. Many Chinese women are very shy during dating and prefer that you do the chasing. However make sure you do reply the same day if they do email you first.
2. She will ask about your age, health and family. In China these are not private matters.
3. She will ask about your financial status and your income. Don’t think of this as mercenary or rude. Unlike in the West, in China a person’s wealth is neither a big secret nor your private matter. Security is very important to most ladies worldwide: the Chinese are just more direct in asking! Good financial status reassures!
4. As education is highly thought of in China, expect her to be very interested in your education level. Should she speak good English, this means she is well educated. Be aware though that emails you receive in English may have been translated for her.
5. If her English isn’t good, speak to her in Chinese. Can’t do that? Then don’t look down on her attempts in English. Help her practice, be patient and encouraging. She will pick it up very soon.
6. Learn a few Chinese phrases yourself. Learning 100 common words isn’t that hard and is a great politeness towards her. She will highly appreciate your effort and it’s amazing how just a few phrases build intimacy and help conversations along.
7. The Chinese women do not lightly say “I love you”. At first, her signs of affection will be more indirect. For example they will demonstrate their feelings by being immaculately dressed / made up and by striving to look after you. They will try very hard to ensure your home, health, clothes and food are perfect.
8. When you plan your first meeting, be aware that most Chinese women do not drink (or only the occasional glass). So asking her to dinner or a show may be less awkward than going for a drink.
9. Men are expected to pay for dinners; indeed all expenses when courting. It’s a sign of respect which remains a common tradition through most Eastern cultures.
10. Lastly, and most importantly, Chinese women are interested in finding a secure future with someone who is respectful them and their family. Don’t expect “casual flings”.
Finally, remember that Chinese culture is much more formal than western culture, this includes the area of Chinese dating. Getting to know the dating etiquette in Chinese culture is always ‘a must’ when you wish her to be attracted to you. Are you ready for that?